Monday, May 16, 2011

Last Morning in Manchester

My bags are packed and I await the opening of my last breakfast time at the Ascott Hotel.

Yesterday was a blustery damp mix of drizzle, fog and downpour through which I walked to and from the Trafford Centre, a total distance of approximately 5k.  Despite the weather it was a pleasant walk.

Crossed this waterway with its typical Mancunian brick service building and the Barton Swing Aqueduct.  I saw charming little footpaths which, had it not been raining, I might have explored.
This was all in deep contrast to what eventually emerged on my horizon; an immense, gaudy, domed, sprawling complex in the style of faux sophistication found in Las Vegas; The Trafford Centre.





1 comment:

  1. I think the Trafford Centre resulted partially from a huge IRA bomb that wiped out much in that part of the city - the result was a lot of reconstruction and the unfortunateness of the centre. Nice building on the outside, though.

    Did you go to Castlefield? Canal Street is quite lively, no? When I went there, I thought it must be some kind of special event on. But no, it seems always to be that way.

    ReplyDelete